Admittedly, the script occasionally veers into the territory of Mother Blame; Elena’s mothering abilities are regularly criticized by everyone, from employees at her son’s school to Tom himself. And no one gives the young woman kudos for how she keeps her family afloat. However, the chemistry between Chávez and Bertorelli is so real. You buy their tense but strong family bond. It’s The Other Tom‘s nuanced exploration of a mother/son relationship during a time of turmoil that gives the film its heart and its bite.
Ultimately, The Other Tom is a thoughtful feature about a parent trying to follow her instincts and a culture that makes doing so a battle for racialized, working-class women.
- Rated: NR
- Genre: Drama
- Release Date: 9/15/2021
- Directed by: Laura Santullo, Rodrigo Plá
- Starring: Israel Rodríguez Bertorelli, Julia Chávez
- Produced by: Alejandro de Icaza, Gabriela Maldonado, Laura Santullo, Rodrigo Plá
- Written by: Laura Santullo, Rodrigo Plá
- Studio: BHD Films, Buenaventura Cine, EFICINE, FIDECINE